What is an Environmental Management System?
ISO 14001 & Eco-Management and Audit Systems (EMAS) are two of the most
comprehensive Environmental Management Systems (EMS) popularly recognised on an
international basis. Their universal adoption is indicative of the effectiveness with which
registration publicly demonstrates a commitment to environmental concerns, equipping
the organisation with both a valuable management system and a most powerful
Logically, this would seem most applicable to manufacturing operations. However the
process of implementing and maintaining an EMS highlights opportunities for significant
cost savings regardless of industry sector.
What is the H.D. Management process?
How can an EMS help you?
An EMS helps you to:
- Manage environmental risk
- Reduce costs
- Gain competitive edge
- Minimise environmental impact
The process involved in implementing an EMS will include:
- Creation of an 'Environmental Policy'
- Evaluation and recording of the operation's environmental aspects/effects
- Setting of measurable goals and targets that will comply with legislation
- Documentation of policy objectives and proposed action
- Audit and review of policy